iSphere In Da House. Check Dis Out.
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-12 13:13:46 UTC
Yo mama, how cool is this?

I know a lot of people who are spending a lot of time in creating filters
for the Remote Systems Explorer. But what if your workspace is corrupted and
you have to create a new one? Recreating all the filters can be a time
consuming thing. Or you have installed RDi on a computer in your office and
at home and you want to synchronize your filters. Or you just want to share
your filters with your colleagues. RDi has a feature to export and import a
whole connection. But here you have to take everything or nothing.

With the new feature iSphere RSE Filter Management this task will be as
simple as possible. You can export single or all filters from your workspace
to a repository (XML File). You can import single or all filters from a
repository to your workspace. The filters in the workspace and in the
repository will be provided by iSphere in four separate areas.

* Filters only in workspace.
* Filters only in repository.
* Filters in workspace and in repository with different type or filter
string.
* Filters in workspace and in repository with equal type and filter string.

In the areas you can define actions for the filters you want to perform. The
actions are.

* Push to workspace.
* Push to repository.
* Delete from workspace.
* Delete from repository.
* Delete from both.

After defining all actions for the specific filters you have to perform the
actions and the changes will be applied. That's all.

For the future we have plans to provide a similar feature for Compile
Commands and User Actions. So keep listening on this channel.

Another new feature in this release is "Search For Updates". When this
feature is activated you get notified if a new iSphere version is available.
You can turn this on or off in the iSphere Preferences. By default this is
turned on. This new release contains also some bug fixes.

So what are you waiting for? Get the new iSphere and have fun.

PS : When you click on "Files" at the iSphere Project Home there is also a
PDF document describing all the features of iSphere.

The iSphere Project Home
========================

http://sourceforge.net/projects/isphere/

The iSphere Project Owners
==========================

Frank Hildebrandt
Task Force IT-Consulting GmbH
www.taskforce-it.de

Thomas Raddatz
TOOLS/400
www.tools400.de
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Brian Johnson
2014-09-12 15:56:13 UTC
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Frank Hildebrandt
Post by Frank Hildebrandt
PS : When you click on "Files" at the iSphere Project Home there is also a
PDF document describing all the features of iSphere.
I looked there but could not find the PDF. Here's the URL of the page...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/isphere/files/?source=navbar
--
Brian Johnson
brian.johnson.mn-***@public.gmane.org
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-12 16:31:01 UTC
Seems that the name of the PDF will be truncated. It`s the third item. Press
on the "i" button on the right side of the third item and you can see the
whole name.

Brian Johnson
2014-09-12 18:42:29 UTC
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Frank Hildebrandt
Post by Frank Hildebrandt
Seems that the name of the PDF will be truncated. It`s the third item. Press
on the "i" button on the right side of the third item and you can see the
whole name.
D'oh! I gave up the search too quickly.
Paul Bailey
2014-09-15 13:02:43 UTC
Nice feature, but there are some changes that could be useful.

1) If we are going to have repository files to hold all the filters, then remembering the name of the repository file for us (per filter pool) is essential! I now have no idea which file contains the filters I want to restore back to the workspace I removed them from!! Defaulting the name to connection name & filter pool name for a new filter repository might be useful, too.

2) When I created my first repository, the file browse allowed me to type "filter_store" without typing the file extension .rseflt, but the RSE Filter Management screen complained that the filename did not have the extension ("File name does not end with .rseflt"). Normally, if there is no file extension when you enter a filename in a "File Browse" screen, and the file filter is set ("RSE Filters"), the filename entered will automatically have the extension name appended to the end. (Also, the .rseflt file extension should be shown somewhere so that I know that is what is expected.)

3) The RSE Filter Management button should be on the right-click (context) menus for filter pools (defaulting the filter pool in the management screen), the object subsystem and all filters. Took me ages to find that little button in the Remote Systems view!

4) Is it possible to use the same repository file for all filters in all filter pools in all connections in all workspaces? If so, will the management screen allow us to filter by workspace, connection, filter pool, etc.?

5) The "pending actions" in the filter management screen is difficult to see (I am colour blind). Can it be highlighted somehow, preferably in a colour that contrasts with the white background colour?

There seems to be a bug with the iSphere Spooled Files subsystem. I renamed a filter pool under the isphere SPLF subsystem to the same name as a filter pool in the object subsystem, and now *ALL* my filters in the object subsystem (under that filter pool) have been removed. Not sure if this is a problem with isphere or rdi/eclipse, but there should be some warning maybe, and I find it a bit weird that renaming the isphere SPLF subsystem's filter pool wiped the object subsystem's filter pool data as the filter pool's description name is not the same as the filter pool's file name in the background.

-Paul.

[...]

This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net

Important, this email transmission and any files with it are strictly confidential to the intended recipient and may be legally privileged. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of BHSF. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, disclose or distribute its contents in any way. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.

We have taken steps to ensure this email and attachments are free from any virus but do not accept any responsibility once this e-mail has been transmitted. You should scan any attachments for viruses. No contract may be concluded on behalf of BHSF Limited by e-mail.

Registered Office: BHSF Limited, Gamgee House, 2 Darnley Road, Birmingham, B16 8TE. www.bhsf.co.uk Registered in England number 35500. BHSF Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-15 18:53:50 UTC
Paul,

1) If you have the need to have one repository file per filter pool then I
would suggest the following. In the iSphere Preferences I add an option to
specify a general path to the location of the repository files. Another
option is to specify a general name of a repository file. The last option is
to specify if the filter pool shall be a part of the repository file name or
not. When you start the iSphere RSE Filter Management the repository file
name will be automatically set to the name you have specified in the
preferences depending on the selected filter pool.

2) We can do this.

3) That should also be no problem. I have to say I don`t know anyone who has
turned on the ability to show the filter pool name in the RSE.

4) You can apply every repository file to every filter pool in every profile
in every workspace. The repository itself does not contain the original
filter pool, profile or workspace the filters have pushed to the repository
from. Therefore you cannot filter the screen by this values. I also can`t
see that this would make sense. You could try to explain why this would make
sense to you.

5) No problem.

6) I can`t reproduce this. Anyway, creating, deleting, renaming filter pools
within subsystems is a job that will be done by RDi and not iSphere, so if
there is a problem I have to say this is a internal bug. Sorry.

Frank

Paul Bailey
2014-09-18 08:40:55 UTC
Hi Frank,

Sorry for the slow reply.

1) Yes please, the default repository save location/name would be a nice feature (especially given your reply to (4)) - if there were "replacement variables" to create the name that include filter pool and connection names, maybe even workspace name, then it would make filter management easier for me at least.

2) Thanks

3) Filter pools give me a way to organise my filters within a connection, and I could use the same filter pools over different connections (although not the same filters). Since your response it seems many others use them for similar reasons, which makes me feel better at least :)

4) To be honest, the word filter repository brings to mind (for me) a way of storing, sharing and restoring the patterns of filters I have setup, but you haven't done it that way in reality, so perhaps my hope for filtering my single repository by connection/filter pool/date-of-birth/etc. is a bit unrealistic. We used to be able to setup a CSV repository in WDSCi to save connections, filter pools, filters, eclipse perspectives, et al., and it made things incredibly quick to setup new users, but I haven't been able to get it to work for years.

5) & 6) Thanks.

Jim Essinger
2014-09-16 17:24:09 UTC
Frank,

How does this work with Filter Pools? I have 15 to 20 filter pools that I
use all the time, but it seems that I can only select one of the pools at a
time in the management tool to export to the repository.

I would like to be able to select all the pools, and their associated
filters strings to archive or restore.

Jim

Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-17 12:30:53 UTC
Jim,

seems that there are more people who are using individual created filter
pools than I thought. I will see what I can do.

Austin, Mark
2014-09-17 13:28:14 UTC
Hi Frank,

Just to add my 2 cents worth after trying this new functionality. We too use dozens of pools so would also like to see this change.

Best regards,
Mark

Post by Frank Hildebrandt
[...]

________________________________

“**Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archive
Tyler, Matt
2014-09-17 19:04:31 UTC
Frank,

I have to add myself to the list of users using filters pools (although I'm the only one at my location).

FYI, ever since I went to 9.0 and 9.1 I had been having issues getting the Softlanding Spooled File plugin to work (open the item in the text editor) but your tool has always worked for me in that regard, so now I am exclusively an iSphere user and fan. It looks like Softlanding is not maintaining their product but your are. Plus I prefer the install and update interface for iSphere than Softlanding's.

I really like the descriptions showing on the filter lists but I found out that this also applies to the Open File dialog when you browse for members. Superb, now I do not necessarily need to press the Details button to see member text.

Great work keep it going!!!

Thanks, Matt

This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-***@midrange.com To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-***@midrange.com
at http://ar
Matthew Qualls
2014-09-17 19:17:04 UTC
Frank,

Another Matt also uses filter pools. I have close to 40 connections. The filter pools help me to deal with common filters and unique filters for each connection.

I love iSphere. Thanks so much.

Regards,
Matt Qualls

at http://archive.m
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-18 08:15:08 UTC
Thanks to you back Matt. Response is important for us.

at http:
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-18 07:52:19 UTC
Mark,

in the next iSphere release i will add better support for filter pools.

Austin, Mark
2014-09-18 08:37:06 UTC
Hi Frank,

Thank you, very much appreciated. I too use iSphere daily and it is a great plug-in.