iSphere and RSE Extensions
Brian Parkins
2014-09-26 19:51:05 UTC
In an earlier post, Matt said:

“FYI, ever since I went to 9.0 and 9.1 I had been having issues getting the Softlanding Spooled File plugin to work (open the item in the text editor) but your tool has always worked for me in that regard, so now I am exclusively an iSphere user and fan. It looks like Softlanding is not maintaining their product but your are. Plus I prefer the install and update interface for iSphere than Softlanding's.”

I have to concur with Matt, Frank and the rest of the team at Task Force IT are doing a fantastic job with the, (free!!) iSphere tools. Looking down the list of Ideas for Improvement:

http://sourceforge.net/p/isphere/wiki/IdeasForImprovments/

suggests there are more goodies on the way. With iSphere likely to incorporate a Data Area editor, the ONLY thing that Softlanding’s RSE Exrtensions has which still makes it useful is the Messages Subsystem.

I may be speaking out of turn here, but if the RSE Extensions are not being maintained and enhanced, would it be possible for iSphere to adopt the Messages Subsystem of RSE Extensions? Would there be a demand for this within the RDi community?

(I would certainly appreciate a simpler and more consistent install process that a single plug-in would provide. It does become slightly irritating having to complete multiple software installs, following different procedures for different tools.)

Brian.
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-
Colpaert, Peter
2014-09-29 04:13:06 UTC
I second Brian's proposal. I use the messaging subsystem AND iSphere every day, so it would indeed be a great step forward if it could be incorporated into one single plugin.

Peter Colpaert
Software Engineer - PLM Development Team
IT Operations Cluster Benelux, Philips IT

Philips Consumer Luminaires
Industrieterrein Satenrozen 11, 2550 Kontich, Belgium
Tel: (+32) 3/459 13 17
Email: ***@philips.com

Working from home on Wednesdays

________________________________
Before posting, please take a moment to rev
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-29 16:44:05 UTC
This sounds interesting. Are there any others out there, who are using the Messages Subsystem of the RSE Extensions Plugin and seconds this.

Frank Hildebrandt

at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Before posting, please take a moment to revi
Charles Wilt
2014-09-29 16:47:58 UTC
I use it...in fact, that's pretty much the only thing I use the softlanding
plugin for.

Specifically, I use the message queue monitoring so I get pop-up messages
when batch jobs complete.

If you add it, I hope you can figure out how to have your message subsystem
be able to clear a message queue with the monitoring turned on. RSE can't.

Charles

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Frank Hildebrandt <
Post by Frank Hildebrandt
[...]
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally
protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this
message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
at http://archive.mi
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-29 17:21:51 UTC
If there are enough people out there who are using the Messages Subsystem of the RSE Extension Plugin and we decide to adopt this to iSphere then of course we can enrich the Messages Subsystem with new features like clearing a message queue.

Frank Hildebrandt

Before posting, please take a moment to review the archi
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-09-29 17:37:41 UTC
I'm still a green message user, but one of my coworkers got excited when he
saw iSphere said something about messages. He was hoping to view messages
about batch jobs completing, so he would appreciate this, if I understand
what you're suggesting. This isn't useful for compiles, because there is
an adequate event file system to report compile errors, but he is
interested when we run a promotion in our change management software (MKS
Implementer). To track the results of this promotion, you need to review
messages to make sure everything went as planned.

From: "Frank Hildebrandt" <***@taskforce-it.de>
To: "'Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Client for System i & iSeries'" <wdsci-***@midrange.com>
Date: 09/29/2014 01:22 PM
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] iSphere and RSE Extensions
Sent by: "WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-***@midrange.com>

Charles Wilt
2014-09-29 17:37:40 UTC
Way back when, I asked softlanding about it and they said it was a
technical limitation as the monitoring thread had a lock on the queue and
thus the display (or the Remote System Explorer ) thread couldn't clear it.

But it would seem to me that the display thread could send a message to the
monitoring thread and tell it to clear it. But then again, I have no
experience with the details of eclipse.

at http://archive.midrange.c
Austin, Mark
2014-09-30 06:54:48 UTC
Hi Frank,

I too use the messages subsystem and again it is the only part of the softlanding extensions that I still use. Everything else that isn't core product I do with your plugin so would certainly appreciate this being included.

Best regards,
Mark

--
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development

________________________________

“**Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access to this e-mail by any other person is not authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, distribute, take any action or rely on it and you should please notify the sender by reply. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
at http://archive.midrange
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-09-30 15:13:02 UTC
@ All together,

in the past Softlanding Systems has done a good job with the RSE Extensions Plugin but now it seems that there is no further support neither for bugs nor for enhancements for what reasons ever. In general I don`t like to fork other open source projects but in case of the Messages Subsystem of the RSE Extensions Plugin we have a well working feature that deserves it to be maintained and it makes no sense to develop this from scratch again. Therefore I will adopt the Messages Subsystem of the RSE Extensions Plugin to make it a part of iSphere. First step will be to adopt the Messages Subsystem as it is. Later we can implement new features if the RDi community requests this. I think this is in the interest of the RDi community. Problems with the license I can`t see because RSE Extensions and iSphere are open source projects.

Greetings

This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-***@midrange.com To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-***@midrange.com

________________________________

Before posting, please take a moment to review the archive
Vernon Hamberg
2014-09-30 19:18:16 UTC
I'm wondering if the perceived lack of support is because the RSE
Extensions are pretty mature - they've worked well for many years now,
as Frank says.

I know that Doug Davie, who works at SoftLanding, has responded in these
lists whenever there is a new release of RD-whatever - I got the plugins
installed from his instructions posted here.

BTW, we are a customer of their's, just so you know. I got curious and
looked at their site - there's a request form for a web demo or
questions or whatever that includes the Extensions in the product list.
And phone numbers - so anyone who has an idea for an enhancement to the
extensions can certainly contact them.

Of course, these plugins are free - but I know that I expect a level of
support, so long as they don't say otherwise on the site. And that I can
direct my thoughts their way.

Regards
Vern
Frank Hildebrandt
2014-10-01 07:49:22 UTC
I really don`t think, that the perceived lack of support is due to Doug Davie. As I know he is employed at Softlanding Systems and therefore he is bound by instructions. The problems are behind the scenes. As I wrote in my last mail I am not a friend of forking other open source projects but in some cases there are good reasons to do so. For example no new features, no bug fixes. I can`t remember Softlanding Systems has released a new version of the RSE Extensions Plugin in the last years. The idea of open source is to share the knowledge with the community and if the original contributor don`t want to continue working on the project for what reasons ever others can do the job. When I initiate a open source project then I have to be aware that others can continue with my project when I stop further development. If I don`t want this then I have to publish the software as freeware and not as open source. In my case I can say that when I am no longer able or willing to work on the iSphere project then I would be glad if others would continue to work on iSphere.

Frank

Buck Calabro
2014-09-29 17:36:55 UTC
Post by Frank Hildebrandt
This sounds interesting. Are there any others out there, who are using the Messages Subsystem of the RSE Extensions Plugin and seconds this.
I would love to see this support!
--buck
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Brian Parkins
2014-09-29 19:15:28 UTC
Me too! I'll often use the DSPLY opcode as a simple means of getting results
from small test programs, (checking things out). The Messages Subsystem is
_so_ handy as it avoids having to switch to green screen to view messages.

Brian.
Tools/400
2014-10-01 16:24:03 UTC
Brian,

May you please let me know what kind of issues you had? I am curious about
it, because I want to better understand where Softlanding support is going to.

My personal opinion is that Softlanding support got really worse when
Softlanding was taken over by Unicom.

Regards,

Thomas.
at http://a
Ken Killian
2014-10-01 17:04:53 UTC
Brian,

I am using RDi 9.1, and the Free RSE extensions from Softlanding have been working for me since Day-one back on WDSC 6.0....

When trying to get the "Fossil Programmers" to Try/Use RDI, I tell them to install that extension. I am using the RSE_Extensions_75_5.exe, which I believe is the latest one...

There spool file viewer is SUPERIOR to the default IBM one...

What seem to be the trouble with the spool file viewer?

I have been using Softlanding products since 1992, their support is outstanding. But, we are also a paying customer... <grin>
remote Systems>IBM i>RSE Extensions
Try click the "ADD" buttons for "Spool File SubSystem" and/or "Queued Message Subsystems"... If I happen to need to reset...

Which usually happens when I play around too much, and my workspace has become corrupt. <grin> Usually a new workspace resolves MOST RDi problems... <LOL>

-Ken Killian-

2014-10-01 19:23:02 UTC
Thomas, thank you for responding. To be clear, I have absolutely no issues
with the RSE Extensions. I have the tool installed and it works fine. I
really appreciate the effort the Softlanding guys invested in the past
because the tool plugged some glaring gaps in the base WDSc/RDP/RDi product.
(The Spooled Files and Messages subsystems in particular.) I cannot comment
on Softlanding support as I have never had to call upon them, however the
RSE Extensions still work with RDi 9.1 - so that says something.

As I indicated in my original post, with the continued development of
iSphere I find I use the RSE Extensions less and less. In fact, the only
thing I use RSE Extensions for now is the Messages Subsystem. I therefore
wondered if iSphere could adopt the latter to simplify matters. (Less
plug-ins, consistent installation and continued updating.) It appears the
RSE Extensions are not being developed further by Softlanding - whereas you
guys continue to enhance iSphere, making it a must-have. (Thank you!)

Brian.
Tyler, Matt
2014-10-01 19:24:08 UTC
Softlanding's Web site where you obtain its plugin in binary installable form has not been updated past RDi 7.5. Its not available as a stand

Thanks, Matt

Tyler, Matt
2014-10-01 19:28:05 UTC
Well I accidentally sent this before completing my thought. The plugin is not available as a standard installable plugin I can only be added to a new version of RDi by reinstalling it. It installs into the Programs Files(x86) folder, which is not available for those that do not have admin rights on their system.

I do have problems with their Spooled Files plugin. It stopped working for me and I have yet to find a reason why, so I abandoned it for iSphere since iSphere can do all the same features the RSE Extensions did.

Thanks, Matt

at http://archive.midr