Is Application Design for real? (RDi 9.1)
Koester, Michael
2014-09-02 14:25:21 UTC
I see vague references to Application Design [Viewer?], but can find precious little in the List Archives and nothing in RDi Help. (I see how to set some preferences for it in Window>Preferences>Application Design, but nothing there about how to make it go). Leads me to suspect it was a trial balloon in an early release of WDSC, but has been abandoned as the tool evolved. Or perhaps it has morphed into a name other than Application Design and I don't know what I'm looking for? Or is it only included with the more robust (e.g. Team Concert...) product sets?

If there is anything to it in the base RDi 9.1 package, could someone please help me find how to access and operate it?

Many thanks,
Michael Koester
Programmer/Analyst (and thrill-seeker)
DataEast
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Edmund Reinhardt
2014-09-02 15:49:42 UTC
Application Diagram was in the expensive Advanced Edition of WDSc but is
not included in the base RDi and can be invoked by right clicking in the
RSE on programs (for ILE binding diagram) and members (for call graphs) and
selecting 'Visualize Application Diagram' from the context menu.
When I demoed this to some Nordic programmers at COMMON, the one was just
about ready to punch out his fellow programmer, because he never told him
about this cool feature of RDi that would have been so helpful in
deciphering huge undocumented code bases.

Regards,

Edmund (E.H.) Reinhardt
Technical Architect for Rational Developer for i

Phone: 1-905-413-3125 | Home: 1-905-854-6195 IBM
E-mail: edmund.reinhardt-G1DYhSM1WHTQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
RDi YouTube: 8200 Warden Ave
www.youtube.com/user/IBMRational#g/c/62DF24D5BCD43501 Markham, ON L6G 1C7
Find me on: LinkedIn: Canada
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/edmundreinhardt/
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Koester, Michael
2014-09-02 16:55:43 UTC
Thanks Edmund. Did I understand you to say that it is NOT in the base RDi product? I seem to be able to bring up the design charts as you described, but thought my version was base RDi (I might be wrong on that, I just work here).
Looks interesting. Is there any guidance document available to help me understand what I'm looking at?
-- Michael
Edmund Reinhardt
2014-09-02 17:28:21 UTC
I mistyped
It IS in the base RDi
Thanks for catching that and setting the record straight.

From: "Koester, Michael" <mkoester-***@public.gmane.org>
To: "Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Client for System i & iSeries" <wdsci-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 02/09/2014 12:56 PM