Outline not working for some SQLRPGLE source
Justin Taylor
2014-09-04 19:02:15 UTC
I have at least one SQLRPGLE source member where the Outline view is blank. Anyone else seen this? Any known work-arounds (other than do without)?

Thanks

RDi 9.1
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Jon Paris
2014-09-04 19:18:29 UTC
I encountered the same problem yesterday Justin - haven't had time to dig into it and since it turned out I had opened the wrong source ...

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Bob Schuch
2014-09-04 19:33:01 UTC
Post by Jon Paris
I encountered the same problem yesterday Justin - haven't had time to dig into it and since it turned out I had opened the wrong source ...
I have also encountered this and was told it is because the parser has trouble parsing something in the source, usually where a reserved word is used as a variable.

To find the error, there is a thin bar along the right side of the source which will have a little yellow marker in it. This will indicate where the parser fails.

I was able to remedy it on one source by changing the name of that variable to something that was not a reserved word.

Hope this helps.
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Jon Paris

Vernon Hamberg

Kurt Anderson
2014-09-04 21:33:12 UTC
When I've had this happen it's been due to a syntactical issue in the program. I don't recall which types of coding screw-ups cause the outline to disappear, but some things clearly are messing up the parser. Interesting, though, that on pre-9.01 versions I don't recall this happening.

Kurt Anderson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst - Application Development, Service Delivery Platform

--
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Gary Thompson
2014-09-04 21:43:11 UTC
+1
When things go twilight zone in RDi - my first stop is:
Source - Verify(Prompt) - Cache - check Refresh cache
then fix errors

Justin Taylor
2014-09-05 14:58:47 UTC
I haven't had an Outline for this particular source member since RDp 8.5 (or earlier).

Refreshing the cache worked in this case. I haven't done a Verify since moving from WinXP. On Win7, Verify always took several minutes, so I stopped using it. In RDi 9.1, it seems actually usable again.

Edmund Reinhardt
2014-09-05 14:33:29 UTC
Kurt,
In 9.01, there was a major enhancement to provide "live" parsing (updating
the outline, content assist, hyperlink, hover info on every key-stroke).
This required writing a new RPG parser in Java. This new parser can not
handle all invalid source and will stop parsing if it hits something it
cannot understand and it will flag it with a yellow annotation on the left.
Fixing the issue will allow it to continue to do its magic.

The alternative is to go back to the static parser that uses the Program
Verifier under the covers. You can toggle between them using the
preference Remote Systems->Remote Systems LPEX Editor->IBM i Parsers->ILE
RPG - "Updated the Outline view when text is changed in the editor".

Regards,

Edmund (E.H.) Reinhardt
Technical Architect for Rational Developer for i

Phone: 1-905-413-3125 | Home: 1-905-854-6195 IBM
E-mail: edmund.reinhardt-G1DYhSM1WHTQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
RDi YouTube: 8200 Warden Ave
www.youtube.com/user/IBMRational#g/c/62DF24D5BCD43501 Markham, ON L6G 1C7
Find me on: LinkedIn: Canada