Find questions for RDi 9.1
Justin Taylor
2014-07-18 15:19:10 UTC
I've moved from RDP 8.5 to RDi 9.1. My workspace from RDP won't work in RDi, so I'm starting from scratch. I've gotten most everything set just right, but there are a couple of Find things I just can't get set.

1. I had CTRL-SHIFT-F mapped to do a find on the selected text. I did that back in the WDSc days, and I can't remember how I did it.

2. The default behavior for CTRL-F is to redo the last search. There used to be an option to turn that off, but I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Buck Calabro
2014-07-18 15:53:59 UTC
Post by Justin Taylor
I've moved from RDP 8.5 to RDi 9.1. My workspace from RDP won't work in RDi, so I'm starting from scratch. I've gotten most everything set just right, but there are a couple of Find things I just can't get set.
1. I had CTRL-SHIFT-F mapped to do a find on the selected text. I did that back in the WDSc days, and I can't remember how I did it.
Maybe findSelection?

It may be too late, but when I migrated my 8.5 workspace, I used a copy.
My RDP 8.5 still runs with the same workspace it always used.
Post by Justin Taylor
2. The default behavior for CTRL-F is to redo the last search. There used to be an option to turn that off, but I can't seem to find it.
I opened up my 8.5 and didn't find that preference.

It was hard to find the right entries in the wiki. Any advice on
keywords I should add in order to make it easier to find?

http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC_shortcuts
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC_LPEX

--buck
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Justin Taylor
2014-07-18 17:57:56 UTC
I managed to find #2. Under Preferences=>LPEX Editor=>Find Text, there's a "Incremental find dialog" checkbox. I turned it off and now CTRL-F does what I want.

Jim Essinger
2014-07-18 17:59:46 UTC
Justin,

You want "User Key Actions" for the first.

Open preferences and type "user key" in the search box at the top.

Add a key for c-s-F and an action findSelection.

Click on the "SET" button then on the "Apply".

You should then be able to use Ctl-Shift-F to search for the selected text
in the LPEX editor.

For some other suggested user key actions, look at:

http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC_LPEX

There have also been many discussions in the WDSC email discussion list
about user key actions.

I have several key actions I use all the time and am willing to share.

Jim Essinger
Western Power Sports
Boise ID
MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
2014-07-22 13:21:42 UTC
I guess if one tries to use the search box on the wiki page, it can be
challenging. I eventually found it using both 'find' and 'search'. It
seems much easier if you're familiar with the wiki and go to the 'WDSC
Shortcuts' page. To help make 'finding' it easier, I added a link to the
shortcuts page on the WDSC tips/Find page. It would be nice if there was a
simple and obvious way to limit searches to the wiki.
2014 11:53:59 -0400 -----
Re: [WDSCI-L] Find questions for RDi 9.1
Buck Calabro
2014-07-22 13:55:42 UTC
Post by MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
I guess if one tries to use the search box on the wiki page, it can be
challenging. I eventually found it using both 'find' and 'search'. It
seems much easier if you're familiar with the wiki and go to the 'WDSC
Shortcuts' page.
Yes, that's a problem. *I* personally found it via browsing, but the
wiki would be a much better resource if things were findable via a search.
Post by MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
To help make 'finding' it easier, I added a link to the
shortcuts page on the WDSC tips/Find page.
Thanks Michael! Even though a 'one hit search' is the goal, better
links make for a better wiki. I've been wanting to break those giant
'tips' pages up but haven't found the time.
Post by MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
It would be nice if there was a
simple and obvious way to limit searches to the wiki.
I am must admit that I use Google for this:
findSelection site:wiki.midrange.com

--buck
2014-07-22 20:22:58 UTC
Buck,

I can see where breaking up the big tips pages could be very helpful.
Maybe I (like you) can do it sometime when I've not got anything else to
do. (Ha!)

I think the search box on the wiki actually does search only the wiki, but
it includes results from unrelated categories--e.g., RPG, .NET, SEU, DFU,
etc. What would be nice is to be able to select the category(/categories)
to be included in the search. A good example is searching for 'Find'. The
desired results are included in the list, but there's a lot of irrelevant
stuff, too.

Does google allow a limiting a search to something like 'site:
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC'? I don't know if that would even
really help as the results I would be looking for might be under something
else, but tagged with the category WDSC.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International
www.TheWay.org
2014 09:55:42 -0400 -----
Buck Calabro
2014-07-22 20:38:53 UTC
Post by MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
I can see where breaking up the big tips pages could be very helpful.
Maybe I (like you) can do it sometime when I've not got anything else to
do. (Ha!)
:-)
Post by MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
I think the search box on the wiki actually does search only the wiki, but
it includes results from unrelated categories--e.g., RPG, .NET, SEU, DFU,
etc. What would be nice is to be able to select the category(/categories)
to be included in the search. A good example is searching for 'Find'. The
desired results are included in the list, but there's a lot of irrelevant
stuff, too.
I'll make a note to ask David about what might be possible. I'm sure
the wiki's search box is limited to the wiki itself, but in general I've
found that pretty much ANY site's own search engine gives worse results
than Google does when Google is limited to site:aaa.ccc
Post by MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC'? I don't know if that would even
really help as the results I would be looking for might be under something
else, but tagged with the category WDSC.
I'll tinker but I don't think so.
--buck
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
CRPence
2014-07-22 21:59:09 UTC
<<SNIP>>
<<SNIP>>
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC'? I don't know if that
would even really help as the results I would be looking for might
be under something else, but tagged with the category WDSC.
I'll tinker but I don't think so.
I am not sure that would work for the effect of a .php app generally,
rather than what is available iwth static named location\pages. But
seeing that the layout of the pages appears to follow that same naming
convention, then *if* there is a topic named WDSC, then the following
_site_ predicate on the search would function as expected:
site:wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC

In fact, searching just that predicate yields the following on the
presented search-results page:

_WDSC/Plugin - MidrangeWiki_
<http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/WDSC/Plugin>
Nov 30, 2013 - Plug-ins for WDSC: See also Plugin_development.
A plug-in is an add-on piece of software that extends the base
functionality of Eclipse.

FWiW: I have often used the "site:" to search the archives by month;
e.g. shown below... the first predicate searches just the one month of
the midrange-l archive, February 2014, while the second predicate
searches the entire midrange-l archive:

site:archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201402/

site:archive.midrange.com/midrange-l

And to search any of the list archives generally, irrespective of
date: site:archive.midrange.com
--
Regards, Chuck
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Elden Fenison
2014-09-02 16:50:55 UTC
That is a little odd. My new workspace in 9.1 defaulted to CTRL-F finding the selected text. And I am looking for how to change it back to the prior behavior of redoing the last search.

This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Elden Fenison
2014-09-02 17:00:19 UTC
I found this...

SE57526: RDI 9.0.1 LPEX FIND DIALOG NOT POPULATED WITH LAST SEARCH STRING

Apparently fixed in 9.1. Yay!