Copy/Paste fails
Greg Wilburn
2014-09-22 12:46:50 UTC
Since upgrading to v9.1 of RDi (RPG Cobol Tools), both PC's in our shop will frequently lose the ability to copy/past with the source editor. I have been working with IBM support for 6 weeks on this issue to no avail. When this occurs, Copy & Paste works in all other applications except for RDi. If we copy from RDi and paste into Notepad, it fails. The only way to restore the functionality is a complete reboot (restarting RDi does not work).

Sometimes we can work all day and not experience the issue, while other days it occurs right from the start.

We both run Windows 7 64-bit, MS office (different versions), and Webroot SecureAnywhere endpoint protection.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar?

Thanks,
Greg
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Kurt Anderson
2014-09-22 16:02:30 UTC
Hi Greg,

I have not had that happen. I did a quick search online and was wondering if this would at least prevent a complete reboot:

"General Fix #4: Click the Start/Windows button, Type Go to Start (Start/Run) type the following in the search box: cmd /c "echo off | clip" (including the quotes) then hit Enter. Note that there is a space between "cmd" and "/" but nowhere else. I keep a copy of this command in my stickies on ClipX so I don't have to go back and find it every time this happens. If you prefer, you can create a desktop shortcut that does the same thing. Just right-click on any frees space on the desktop and select New, Shortcut. Type the command into the location box. Click Next, name the shortcut and Finish."

This is from: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1749049/fix-copy-paste-problems-microsoft-office.html

This link has a couple answers in regard to copy/pasting not working in Windows 7 64-bit. One of the answers contains a link to something that tells you if something has a lock on the clipboard (which doesn't entirely seem to fit your scenario if copy/paste works in all other applications).
http://superuser.com/questions/145268/copy-paste-stops-working-on-windows-7

Good luck,

Kurt Anderson
Sr. Programmer/Analyst - Application Development, Service Delivery Platform

--
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Greg Wilburn
2014-09-25 14:38:14 UTC
Thanks for the suggestions... but none of those seem to be my issue. I even ran the program that checks the locks... there are none.

Paul Bailey
2014-09-25 15:11:29 UTC
I'm not suffering with this, I think, but to be clear: which methods of copy/paste are you using?

Off the top of my head I can think of six different ways but I doubt I have all of them:
1) Keyboard shortcut (e.g. Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v, Alt-ins/Alt-del, etc.)
2) Main menu option from the Edit menu
3) Right-click Context menu option
4) Toolbar button
5) Highlight/Drag-with-mouse (sometimes works, but not sure if it supported in RDi)
6) With an external tool, such as Ditto

Have you used all six while in RDi and suffer the same problem? Can you be more specific about which ones you've tried?

I've just remembered a situation when this does happen to me: If I create a selection with the mouse and the cursor ends up in the prefix area before I press CTRL-c, then the copy doesn't work. (Try selecting four lines with your mouse and letting go of the mouse button while the mouse is over the prefix area.) I think that will prevent copy from working because the clipboard is trying to copy nothing from the prefix area instead of the text you selected in the code area. It might be nice if the cursor stays with your selected text after you let go of the button, but I don't think it is worth it for me to write an RFE or PMR - maybe you'll think differently.

-Paul.

[...]

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net

Important, this email transmission and any files with it are strictly confidential to the intended recipient and may be legally privileged. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of BHSF. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, disclose or distribute its contents in any way. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.

We have taken steps to ensure this email and attachments are free from any virus but do not accept any responsibility once this e-mail has been transmitted. You should scan any attachments for viruses. No contract may be concluded on behalf of BHSF Limited by e-mail.

Registered Office: BHSF Limited, Gamgee House, 2 Darnley Road, Birmingham, B16 8TE. www.bhsf.co.uk Registered in England number 35500. BHSF Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Greg Wilburn
2014-09-25 15:42:39 UTC
Paul,

I'm sure this is much more than simply which option I use or where the cursor is located. When it stops working, ALL methods of copy and or paste cease to function. I've used keyboard shortcuts, main menu, and right click. I also use ALT-R to copy a block of source.

I usually copy with CTRL-INS, or right click and select copy. CTRL-C often does not work. But I have used "Edit - Copy" from the menu bar.

I see what you mean about cursor position - that explains the ctrl-c issue. I typically copy the entire line using my mouse. After highlighting, if the cursor is blinking to the left of the line numbers, ctrl-c does not copy. If I use my arrow key to position the cursor after the line numbers, ctrl-c seems to work. In my opinion, THAT needs fixed - such a fine line between where your cursor ends up after a highlight.

Just to clarify... when this fails, I cannot copy using ANY method within RDi and paste ANYWHERE else (notepad, word, etc). I cannot copy from another application and paste into RDi. However, I CAN copy from another application and paste into other applications.

Also note that during this failure, any copy from RDi renders the clipboard contents NULL.

Thanks,
Greg

Sam_L
2014-09-25 20:19:18 UTC
FWIW: (You probably know this) LPEX being a line oriented editor,
Alt-L is a precise and much better way to select the current line.
Alt-C is used to copy the highlighted line and then Alt-V to paste.
Also Alt-M to move the line.

Alt-L, move to another line, Alt-L again, highlights the block of lines
which then then be copied or moved.

Sam
Post by Greg Wilburn
I typically copy the entire line using my mouse.
---
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Dave Shaw
2014-09-25 20:56:09 UTC
I agree with Sam 100%. For me, these Select commands are the easiest way to manipulate text in the editor - better than copy/paste or the old SEU line commands for most purposes.

However, copy/paste shouldn't be broken. There has to be something wrong with the installation to cause that. I'm having no issues with it in my 32-bit 9.1 install.

Dave Shaw
Sent from my Windows phone

Greg Wilburn
2014-09-25 21:06:26 UTC
Thanks guys... I did not know about the ALT-L and ALT-M...

I have disabled an identity shield on my PC that's part of Webroot SecureAnywhere... no failures at all today. I'll keep going down that path.

Kind of off-topic, but is there an easy way to mark a block of text and increase/decrease the indent 2 spaces? I write entirely in /free and always indent nested statements. If I copy code and want to manipulate, this is always a sore spot. I've been using ALT-R to copy, then right-click and use "selection - overlay". But that's pretty cumbersome.

at http://archive.midra
Mike Garrison
2014-09-25 21:10:10 UTC
Alt-F7 (Left) and Alt-F8 (Right)
Before posting, please take a moment to review th
Jim Essinger
2014-09-25 21:32:14 UTC
Highlight with Alt+R then use the blockShift keys. I have mine mapped to
my own preference, but I believe the default is Alt+F7 and Alt+F8.

Jon Paris and Susan Gantner have a shortcut sheet.
http://systemideveloper.com/downloadRSEShortcuts.html

Jim Essinger
Western Power Sports
Boise ID

SReeves-YiY9+
2014-09-25 17:28:22 UTC
On older versions I used to have a similar issue when selecting and
copying multiple lines of code. I found something to do with the the
cursor selecting the line number would mess it up. I'm running 9.0 and
haven't run into that issue in a while, so that particular issue may have
been fixed. The solution iirc was simply to be more careful in how I
selected the code (selecting only portions of a line never had an issue).
So, it sounds like your issue is much worse. Sorry, I couldn't be of
help.
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Greg Wilburn
2014-09-25 17:57:30 UTC
FWIW - I used v9.0 for 60 days during evaluation and never encountered this issue. I only saw it after upgrading to v9.1