Workspace unreachable
Jon Paris
2014-09-29 14:16:02 UTC
Got a situation where the “Don’t show this …” option was selected for the workspace.

Problem is that the workspace is on a network drive that cannot be connected and there’s no option to try a new one.

Only instructions I have found involve changing windows registry - but they are for WDSC ! Not seeing anything more recent and I hate messing with registry - anyone know if there is a better way?

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Paul Bailey
2014-09-29 14:25:45 UTC
Hi,
From this page: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/209789/starting-eclipse-w-specific-workspace
If you use the -data "<workspace location>" command line option then you can load a different workspace to the default. Edit the properties of your RDi shortcut to specify the -data option.

If you specify a new folder as the workspace location then a new workspace will be created.

Once it is up and running you can switch the default workspace, options, etc.

-Paul.

--
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list To post a message email: WDSCI-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: WDSCI-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.
Jon Paris
2014-09-29 14:37:35 UTC
Bless you Paul thanks.

That goes in the Evernote bank.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Hi,
From this page: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/209789/starting-eclipse-w-specific-workspace
MichaelQuigley-xh4QyN7hc9gdnm+
2014-09-29 18:04:07 UTC
Jon,

Try in Preferences under General, Startup and Shutdown, then Workspaces.
On the right, there's a checkbox 'Prompt for workspace on startup'.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International
www.TheWay.org
Sep 2014 09:16:02 -0500 -----
[WDSCI-L] Workspace unreachable
Jon Paris
2014-09-29 18:45:39 UTC
That one I am familiar with Michael, but it doesn’t help if you can’t even open a workspace.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-09-29 19:25:17 UTC
I'm not sure I fully understand the issue. I imagine you're saying that if
a workspace becomes unreachable, then RDi doesn't give you the option of
even starting up enough to switch to a new workspace. You might find
something under Eclipse discussion on the web, rather than just RDi. I did
find this advice on starting with a different workspace from the command
line:

How do I start Eclipse?

The simplest way:
Double-click eclipse.exe or the Eclipse application, or
Browse to the directory where you unpacked Eclipse, then run eclipse
or ./eclipse

If you need to add additional command-line parameters, then you will need
to get to a command prompt and run something like:

/path/to/eclipse/eclipse -data /path/to/workspace -vm /path/to/jvm/bin/java
-vmargs -Xms256M -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=64M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

How do I use a different workspace?

Three ways:
1. In Eclipse, select File > Switch Workspace
2. In Eclipse, select Window > Preferences... > General > Startup and
Shutdown > [x] Prompt for workspace on startup, then restart Eclipse.
3. Via commandline, run ./eclipse -data /path/to/new/workspace/folder
at http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.